This is meeee

Thursday, March 8, 2007

Accessibility

Sheesh... who woulda thought!

Ok. Instead of doing what I planned for this week, I've been the whole time making my site more accessible (Level AAA conformance, no less). I miss my gradient background but its nice to see green ticks when I put my pages through the checker. It took ages to find one that I had any amount of affection for. I finally settled on WebEXACT for the following reasons:
  • Its free! An online service that lets you test single pages of web content for quality, accessibility and privacy issues.
  • You can choose to test for Priority 1, 2 or 3 automatic checkpoints.
  • Optionally expands the code fragments (line, tag, attribute & value) to easily find the location of the problem in your code.
  • Provides a detailed guideline for manual checkpoints with number of warnings and instances included.
  • Each guideline warning has an explanation and rationale plus links to the WAI Guideline checkpoint references.
Its friendly as far as they go and I think, kinder than some. Anyway, just thought I would share it here coz it might save y'all some time searching.

One that I tried spat the dummy because some of the links in my footer were not reachable by a screen reader within a certain amount of time. What do I do to fix this? I have no idea and not in the mood to research.... sooooo.... if anyone has some pointers, please feel free to comment :)




Now thats out of the way, Im going to do myself some dreaming under a tree and suck up some fresh air and sunshine for the weekend. Yayyyy.


Image : Nyx : "Here be Squirrels"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ha, the bottom of your web page looks like a little trophy shelf now :-)

Shame about the background though. IANAD (i am not a designer), but I think a very pale purple might improve it a little - try out the colour checker at http://www.snook.ca/technical/colour_contrast/colour.html
and see what you can cook up